Build your experience with us!
Our student programs are designed to introduce candidates to a career in the field of Controls Engineering for the Design/Build HVAC, Plumbing, and Building Automation construction and service industry. Primary responsibility is to assist the design and operations team in all aspects of our work.
What you’ll do as a Controls Engineering Specialist Student Program Participant:
- Will support product and service training to customers. Provides and documents feedback on problem evaluation and resolution to project leaders.
- Performs low to medium complex software design and programming, trial runs and investigative tests.
- Attends pre-booking meetings to gain knowledge of the sales estimate and project scope. Works with engineering group and/or supervisors to analyze plans, specifications, and contract to determine system requirements. Selects products, sizes, types, and location placement to ensure products meet specification requirements.
- Maintains accurate and thorough project documentation and redlines, plus supports owner training as required by the project.
- Works with engineering group to create and/or verify point database.
- Creates/reviews job specific programming via computer for various systems (controls, creates /reviews and uploads point database, uploads graphics in the Central Processing Unit (CPU).
- Verifies point database and programming operations are consistent with scope of work for the intended integration and sequence.
- Backs up data from data servers and/or creates automated backup procedure.
- Troubleshoots and resolves inconsistencies in the functions or sequence of operations.
- Participates in final inspection and testing, assures customer acceptance, and conducts training for end user customers on system operations.
- Works with senior engineers to assist in designing building automation systems consisting of mechanical system layouts, electrical drawings, bill of materials, sequence of operations, valve and damper schedules, DDC panel layouts to meet the intent of the based on project plans, specifications and contract documents.
Things we love to see in our Student Program Participants:
- A strong work ethic
- Initiative and drive to get the job done
- Strong communication skills
- The ability to be resourceful and resilient
- Able to solve problems with limited support
- Quick learner, seeks answers on their own
- Positive attitude during adverse/non-ideal situations
- Exercises Accountability in stressful situations (avoids placing blame)
- Goal Oriented
- Collaborative spirit and a Good Teammate – has a “We Me” attitude
- Strong active listening skills
- Competent general business writing and public speaking
You’re pursuing a degree that aligns with Southland needs:
- Working towards or recently completed a Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronics, Industrial Engineering; or in a related field; and/or
- Vocational degree in HVAC/Building Automation Controls
What you’ll gain from our Student Programs at Southland Industries:
- You’ll increase your knowledge of HVAC design to include types of equipment utilized in the industry as well as general understanding of system operations (i.e. variable air, constant volume, refrigeration cycle.)
- You'll gain troubleshooting skills in mechanical and electrical systems.
- You’ll have the ability to communicate with all levels of management, including project management and field trades.
- You’ll learn to read mechanical and plumbing plans.
- You'll gain knowledge of temperature control theory and HVAC/Building Automation systems
- You'll increase your working knowledge of project accounting, costing principals and contracting preferred
- You’ll be able to strengthen your general business writing skills and gain additional experience with CADD and other products.
Internship/Co-op Program Benefits:
- Hands-on classroom and on-the-job experience in your specific role
- Opportunity to work side by side with company leaders
- Socially distant group activities and team events
- Paid housing (some locations)
- Paid internship/Co-op
- Potential full-time employment opportunities
Full-time Employee Benefits:
As an employee-owned company, we offer a comprehensive benefits package to all full-time employees, that includes excellent benefits for you and your family:
- 401(k) Plan with 50% Company Match(no cap) and immediate 100% vesting
- Annual bonus program based upon performance, profitability, and achievement
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance – 100% Paid for Employee
- Term Life, AD&D Insurance, and Voluntary Life Insurance
- Disability Income Protection Insurance
- Pre-tax Flexible Spending Plans (Health and Dependent Care)
- Holidays/Vacation/Personal Time/Life Events Leave
- Numerous training opportunities and company paid membership for professional associations and licenses
For more information on Southland Industries, please visit our web site: Southland Careers or on Facebook or LinkedIN or Twitter
To hear what our employees are saying about working at Southland Industries, check out our Career Video - Working at Southland
Southland Industries and all its subsidiaries are an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. We are committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing our employees with a safe work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Southland Industries are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, gender, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, medical condition, marital status, sexual orientation, family care or medical leave status, veteran status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Southland Industries will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.
**All employment offers are contingent upon successful, drug test, background check and professional reference checks. **
**We are not able to offer sponsorship of employment at this time**
If you don’t feel this position is match for you, we encourage you to share it with others. Feel free to share throughout your social networks and follow us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram to keep up to date on what we’re doing as a company.