PEOPLE FIRST: BUILDING TALENT BY DESIGN
Who is Southland Energy?
As a division of Southland Industries , Southland Energy is a national provider of performance-based energy and infrastructure solutions with roots in one of the nation’s leading MEP building systems companies. We leverage our design build engineering and construction expertise to help our clients reduce their operating expenses, renew their infrastructure, and make their facilities more resilient. Southland Energy combines a self-performance project delivery model with world-class energy engineering expertise to develop, construct and sustain the most cost-effective and reliable solutions in the industry.
Why Join Southland Energy?
Southland Energy is rapidly growing to meet our clients’ demands for providing turn-key facility life-cycle solutions. We’re building an industry-leading team with the capabilities to plan, execute, and sustain all elements of our clients’ energy infrastructure,
As a privately held Company, we have the autonomy, agility and flexibility to quickly develop and execute customized solutions that meet our clients’ unique and diverse goals. Our employees experience a streamlined business structure that encourages innovation and entrepreneurial spirit while also providing the tools and support necessary to deliver outstanding projects for our clients.
Our people-first culture provides opportunities for personal and professional Development and our work environment is progressive, exciting, supportive, and fun.
If you're ready to own your success and be a part of an industry-changing team, then Southland Energy is for you!
What will you do?
The Pre-construction Manager is responsible to ensure the scope, quality, schedule and performance expectations are aligned and achievable by leading, managing and using personal knowledge in engineering, design, estimating, contracts, procurement, and construction. The scope of responsibility includes a primary focus on mechanical, electrical and plumbing (MEP) system with general knowledge in civil, structural and architectural systems.
Things you may have done before
Scope of responsibility:
- Work closely with the Energy Division project developers and account executives to support the development of procurement packages that can be used for firm fixed pricing.
- Directly responsible for the following work for all trades (MEP, general building and specialty sub-contractors) on projects:
- Win strategy and contracting approach
- Scope definition, redlines and supporting narratives
- Conceptual budgets and cost estimates
- Final cost estimates for Firm Fixed Pricing (FFP)
- Equipment vendor scope, pricing and submittals
- Sub contractor scope and pricing
- Sub contractor and vendor agreements
- Construction schedule and milestones
- Construction planning and pre-fabrication strategies
- Proposal development support as it relates to construction
- Consulting design team scope, RFP and leadership on projects
- Responsible for the coordination and management of developing of cost estimates using preliminary sketches and drawings to support pricing during early development phase (PA, IGA and project execution).
- Participate in the development of design work performed by both Southland resources (internal) and consultants (external) as it relates to scope and pricing during the design phase.
- Collaborate and communicate with the client and all members of project teams.
- Assist the design team with requests for proposal and coordinate scope of work with consultants when using external architecture and engineering firms including teaming agreements.
- Manage the design team thru the IGA and project implementation phases.
- Prequalify sub-contractor partners and maintain a database of firms on a national basis.
- Assist with the development of business plans, workflow planning and scheduling with respect to preconstruction within the Energy Division.
- Support business development and marketing activities as directed.
- Participate and represent preconstruction in Energy consulting sales opportunities including master planning, resiliency, site distribution, building assessments, etc.
- Participate in the conceptual design effort on large and significant projects.
- Quality control of the design product and ensure the final design product achieves the scope, cost and schedule expectations of the project.
- Engage the build division and sub-contractor field resources to incorporate constructability input during the preconstruction phase.
- Collaborate with the Energy Engineering and Project Development group.
- Attend and participate in applicable industry conferences and seminars.
- While this position will not have any direct reports at this time, supervision and mentoring of engineers and potential preconstruction candidates will be a requirement.
Education, Experience, Knowledge and Skills:
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or University in mechanical, electrical or architectural engineering.
- A Professional Engineer license in good standing is preferred but not essential.
- A minimum of 10-15 years of design, estimating, contracting and management experience.
- Must have an excellent working knowledge of Mechanical, Electrical, Plumbing and Fire Protection (MEPF) systems and a working knowledge of General Building Construction.
- Desired industry experience:
- Commercial office buildings
- State and Local Government
- Mission Critical Facilities
- Industrial Facilities
- Federal Facilities
- Energy Centers
- Distributed Generation and Energy Storage
- Research labs.
- Desired Systems and Software Expertise:
- Very proficient with estimating and scheduling software.
- Very proficient with Bluebeam and MS Excel.
- Proficient knowledge in use of MS power point, project and word.
- Proficient with material take-offs using digital programs.
Essential skills and specific tasks:
- Management and People - Must possess knowledge and effective use of management skills and strong interpersonal and communication skills to become a collaborative persuasive leader of people and help develop favorable customer relationships.
- Design Build/Design Assist in the Construction Industry - Must understand the fundamental concepts and practical application of design build/design assist scope development, cost estimating and contracting.
- A thorough understanding of the different trades including MEP and building construction as it relates to cost and scope.
- A thorough understanding of the commercial terms within a construction contract.
- The position is to lead projects through the preconstruction phase to ensure the project scope, quality, schedule and performance expectations are aligned and achievable. This requires advanced knowledge in engineering and design, estimating, negotiating contracts, planning construction activities, selecting subcontractors, and leading/managing the client and project team. Various stages of preconstruction will require the ability to self-perform these tasks.
- This position requires some travel to perform site investigations and attend in-person meetings with clients, design teams, subcontractors, vendors and other project participants as required.
How will you grow with the organization?
Southland Energy prides itself on impressive, sustainable growth and our philosophy on talent is no different. All Southland Industries divisions commit to Attracting the right talent, while fostering talent retention through diverse career experiences.
How does Southland make sure you are growing in your career? Along with training opportunities, Southland Industries’ “connected solution” approach provides opportunities to work both with industry experts in the Energy division as well as across all Southland divisions to gain unique exposure to these construction and engineering disciplines. Through this cohesive and collaborative work dynamic we often see our people change roles, teams, divisions, and locations as they grow with the company and progress in their career!
As an employee-owned company, we offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes excellent benefits for you and your family:
- 401(k) Plan with 50% Company Match(no cap) and immediate 100% vesting
- Annual bonus program based upon performance, profitability, and achievement
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance – 100% Paid for Employee
- Term Life, AD&D Insurance, and Voluntary Life Insurance
- Disability Income Protection Insurance
- Pre-tax Flexible Spending Plans (Health and Dependent Care)
- Holidays/Vacation/Personal Time/Life Events Leave
- Numerous training opportunities and company paid membership for professional associations and licenses
For more information on Southland Industries, please visit our web site: Southland Careers or on Facebook or LinkedIN or Twitter
To hear what our employees are saying about working at Southland Industries, check out our Career Video - Working at Southland
Southland Industries and all its subsidiaries are an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. We are committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing our employees with a safe work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Southland Industries are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, gender, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, medical condition, marital status, sexual orientation, family care or medical leave status, veteran status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Southland Industries will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.
**All employment offers are contingent upon successful, drug test, background check and professional reference checks. ****We are not able to offer sponsorship of employment at this time**
If you don’t feel this position is match for you, we encourage you to share it with others. Feel free to share throughout your social networks and follow us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram to keep up to date on what we’re doing as a company.